As a business owner, your workers rely on you for more than a regular paycheck. They also depend on you to keep them safe from harm to the best of your ability. Any breach of this duty not only can put you crossways with the law, but may also erode the trust and morale of your workforce.
Your employee never expects to end his shift in one of these.
Protecting your workers starts from the ground up (literally). If you have the right floor mat, you can help save your employees from a world of hurt and discomfort by reducing the chances of…
- Deep bruises, broken bones, or concussions from falling on a wet floor. A person slipping and falling on a wet floor can be a sudden, violent, and serious experience (especially if he or she is moving quickly). If an employee injures himself or herself in this manner, the odds are good that a doctor’s visit will be required. Casting, bandaging, and physical therapy might also be needed for the problem to heal. But a WaterHog or SuperScrape floor mat are both good at keeping footwear-borne debris off of your floor.
- Sprained muscles, ankle twists, or injured knees from slipping or sliding awkwardly on a wet floor. Employees don’t have to lose their footing to sustain a serious injury. If a limb moves in a different direction than the rest of the body, both the extreme stretching and/or the sudden jerk on bodily joints can produce these types of injuries. Ankle and knee injuries can take weeks or even months to heal properly.
This man is about to fall awkwardly.
- Flareups of arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome from repeatedly mopping wet floors. If moisture and debris is captured by your floor mat, it doesn’t make it to your floors. This means that you don’t have to ask employees to mop the floor over and over to keep it clean and safe. That’s a good thing, because it’s these repetitive-movement injuries that can cause or exacerbate carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis, which can erode the productivity of your workers.
- Burns from grabbing a stove, grill, or oven to catch their balance after losing their footing in a kitchen. If you don’t have SuperScrape or WaterHog mats in your kitchen, the floor can become slippery from water and/or grease very quickly. If a worker starts to lose his or her balance during the meal rush, he or she will instinctively grab onto whatever object is closest. If the nearest surface is one that is extremely hot, the employee could suffer a nasty and painful burn.
- Back or neck injuries from standing on hard surfaces for long periods of time. Like ankles and feet, the trunk of the body will also experience fatigue after standing for hours at a time. This can result in significant injuries to the spine, back muscles, and neck; the pain caused by these types of injuries can be difficult to treat and cure. An anti-fatigue mat is specially designed to take the stress off of the legs and torso.
It can be difficult trying to plan for all of the potential dangers that your workers can face on a daily basis. Keeping your floors dry and clean isn’t one of them. Contact Ultimate Mats today to purchase the right mats needed to keep your workforce safe!