Yes, we all know it’s impolite, inappropriate, and downright cruel to laugh at someone who has just slipped and fallen down on a wet floor – especially if the victim gets injured. But it’s perfectly okay to chuckle at an amusing or unusual “Wet Floor” sign that is telling people to exercise caution so that they don’t slip and fall.
Here are ten funny “Wet Floor” signs courtesy of the Flickr photo-sharing website.
Image credit: Ming Xia
1. To be fair, most of us would probably butcher Vietnamese if we tried to write Wet Floor in that language. Still, it’s a bit humorous to imagine how taking tiny drinks of our beverage could help keep us from “sipping” on a wet floor.
Image credit: opello
2. The English and Dutch warnings are placed on this cleverly-shaped banana peel sign. Even if you couldn’t read either language, you’d still likely understand the need to watch your step. Or it would just make you hungry.
Image credit: Joe
3. We all recognize this character; but unless you can read Norwegian, you don’t know that the words translate to “Have a good day! Note: slick floor.” Which may be taken to mean “Try and have a nice day if you slip on our wet floor!”
Image credit: Moose
4. Some jokester added some extra details on this standard Wet Floor sign. The beauty of this new image is that, like the sign itself, the exclamation is appropriate in both English and Spanish.
Image Credit: Gord McKenna
5. Here’s another example of “creativity” on a Wet Floor sign. Note the excellent use of perspective when drawing the bench and bottle. This sign was actually displayed at Edmonton International Airport in Canada in 2012.
Image credit: David
6. This sign is actually in a pool area – but the designer might have mismatched up the symbol with the message. After all, the chances of someone drowning on the floor are probably fairly minimal.
Image Credit: SAM MOrrison
7. Yes, this is Photoshopped. Still, it would be nice to warn passersby about jazz hands in the area. Those things can be fairly dangerous if they get out of control.
Image credit: Louis Vella
8. The reference for this image photo is from the movie 300, when Leonidas the King responds to a peace offer from a Persian messenger by yelling those three words and kicking the courier into a pit. It’s hilarious (if you’ve seen the movie.)
Image credit: sunshinegurl2
9. This sign was placed in an area of the Grand Hyatt Hotel and Resort in Kauai, Hawaii. It’s unclear whether the message is that a wet floor could cause someone to slip, or make them bowlegged for life.
Image credit: Nick Walker
10.0 Okay, someone’s just being a smart aleck now. This was found on the campus of the University of Sheffield in England. Those crazy college kids!
It’s true that properly placing “Wet Floor” signs in areas where a spill is present or mopping has just taken place is a smart way to help protect your customers and employees from slip-and-fall accidents. A more proactive approach is to utilize high-quality floor mats in moisture-prone areas.
Ultimate Mats offers a wide selection of entry, exterior, and interior mats which are designed to trap water and keep it from getting onto your floors. For a look at their complete line of floor mats, visit the Ultimate Mats website today!